For the first time Wimbeldon cancelled due to corona virus after WW-2 (World War Second), this oldest Grand Slam tennis tournament has been cancelled due to corona virus. The All England Club announced after an emergency meeting that this year it would not be a tournament. Now this Grand Slam will be played from 28 June to 11 July 2021. Covid-19 has affected sports competitions across the world. The French Open has already been pushed forward, while all competitions have been cancelled until 7 June.
The All England Club announced after an emergency meeting that this year it would not be a tournament. The tournament was first played in 1877 and has been happening every year since then. It was not played only during the First World War between 1915 and 1918 and during the Second World War between 1940 and 1945.
Wimbledon was to begin on 29 June where Novak Djokovic and Simona Halep were scheduled to land to defend their singles title, but the decision to cancel the tournament has been made, as the world failed to stop the Covid-19 pandemic from spreading. is. The virus has infected more than 840,000 people worldwide and more than 40,000 have died.
The organizers denied this
It is noteworthy that the organizers had earlier refused to get Wimbledon to the spectators’ empty stadium. Three-time Wimbledon champion Boris Baker on Tuesday appealed to the tournament organizers to wait before deciding. Baker tweeted, “I am confident that Wimbledon will wait until the end of April before making a decision.”
Serena and Federer hardly get to play Wimbledon
Wimbledon’s cancellation means multiple-time champions Roger Federer, Serena Williams and Venus Williams have played their last match at the All England Club. Federer and Serena will be nearly 40 years old by the 2021 championship, while Venus will turn 41. Serena, who lost to Halep in the final last year, currently has 23 Grand Slam titles and needs a title to match the Margaret Court record.
Olympic has also been postponed The Tokyo Olympics have been postponed due to the Corona virus. Wimbeldon cancelled due to corona virus after WW-2 first time. The French Open in May will now be held in late September. The US Open will be played in New York from August 31 to September 13.
Many other tournaments also cancelled or postponed.
- Federation Cup National Junior Athletics Championship to be held in Bhopal from April 6 to 8.
- India Open to be held from 24 to 29 March in New Delhi at the empty stadium.
- Phoeba 3×3 Olympic qualifying tournament to be held from March 18 to 22 in Bangalore postponed.
- Suspect of foreign players playing in Indian Premier League till 15 April due to visa restrictions imposed by the government.
- The second and third ODIs between India and South Africa will be played in the empty stadium.
- The final day of the Ranji Trophy final will be played without an audience.
- Road Safety World Series running from 7 to 22 March in Mumbai and Pune canceled.
- The Indian Super League final to be held on 14 March in Goa between ATK and Chennai FC will be played at the empty stadium.
- FIFA World Cup qualifier match between India and Qatar to be held on March 26 in Bhubaneswar.
- FIFA World Cup qualifier match to be held on June 9 in Kolkata between India and Afghanistan.
- Final stage of Santosh Trophy matches to be held in Aizawl from 14 to 27 April postponed.
- The remaining 28 matches of ILIG will be played in the empty stadium.
India Open to be held from 19 to 22 March in Gurugram.
ISSF Rifle, Pistol and Shotgun World Cup postponed from 15 to 25 March in New Delhi.
- All domestic tournaments canceled.